[Yum] Simple(?) addition idea.

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Aug 2 05:20:13 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 15:10, Carwyn Edwards wrote:
> Would it be easy to add an include option that has the opposite
> semantics to the exclude option?
>
> Basically I'd like to add the functionality to be able to do things like
> track a certain package from rawhide, but not all of rawhide.
>
> Would anyone else find this useful?

How would you describe this in the config file? Give a list of packages
per-repository that should be acknowledged?

I think most any mechanism for tracking packages would be useful but I'm
most concerned with keeping away from ugly and unmaintainable syntax in
the config file.

maybe - b/c include= is most commonly used by config files to include an
arbitrary file into the config file it would be best if we had something
like:

[somerepo]
name=some repository
baseurl=http://yourserver.com/foo/
gpgcheck=1
includeonly=foo* bar* baz*

that would mean that ONLY packages matching foo*, bar* and baz* would be
considered from somerepo.

The next obvious question is 'well why not package pinning a la apt?'

I've yet to see syntax example of package pinning that doesn't make
grown men cry. I'm not as concerned with infinite flexibility as I am
concerned with keeping a sensible set of features with a relatively
easy-to-understand format.

I'll do some more thinking.