[Yum] 2 RFE: dying at the first error, and 'preen'ing in cron

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Apr 28 03:50:55 UTC 2003

I was doing soune build and devel work, and had pointed yum at
my archive to apply it to my favorite guinea pig, Winston.

the process kept dying, and I kept kicking the -d level up
until I could see the corrupt ftp transfer -- (some physical
layer issues had corrupted a pull earlier today.)

[update: ipchains.i386]
[update: mutt.i386]
[update: ed.i386]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
localhdrpath=
/var/cache/yum/phoebe/headers/xosview-0-1.8.0-11.i386.hdr for
xosview i386
localhdrpath=
/var/cache/yum/phoebe/headers/pango-0-1.2.1-1.i386.hdr for
pango i386
Using cached pango-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm
Error: MD5 Signature check failed for
/var/cache/yum/phoebe/packages/pango-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm
You may want to run yum clean or remove the file:
 /var/cache/yum/phoebe/packages/pango-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm
Exiting.
[root at winston rpm]# rm
/var/cache/yum/phoebe/packages/pango-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm
rm: remove regular empty file
`/var/cache/yum/phoebe/packages/pango-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm'? y
[root at winston rpm]#

-----------------------

and that got me to thinking -- wonder if it enumerates ALL of
the erroneous packages, or just the first one, before mailing
out?

The answer is it seems to be the first -- it would be nice if
it noted that it cannot proceed -- set the -test flag on --
and keep accumulating 'errors' so that the admin can then fix
them all.

================================

Also, when the cron process gets wedged from a corrupt header
or empty download, or something, it woudl be nice to have an
option 'preen' to check your yum headers and d/l RPMs for
corruption and garbage.

It would delete offending items for a later retry, and mention
that it has done so.

It would be verbose by default when errors are found, silent
otherwise; and if added to the present cron task, set to run
after the periodic update attempt finished.

That way, if there is nothing to talk about, it stays silent
-- but if it does cleanup (preening. really or maybe
'grooming' or 'weeding'), the admin will see content in a cron
run, and be aware that something is amiss.

Not urgent at all -- just nice to have.

-- Russ Herrold