[Yum] RE: problems using yum to upgrade from 8.0 to 9

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Apr 22 20:23:25 UTC 2003

> > Just point me at the FAQ.  ;)
>
> yah - well this is a newish feature so it's not in the docs or faq yet
> I'm working on them :)

Aha, so this falls under the heading of, "But wait, there's more!"  ;)

> the gist of it is simple, though:
> you know the "groups" you can select for kickstarts or during a normal
> red hat install?

*nods*

> Well those same groups can be selected and used for installs, etc with
> yum. Which means you can get all the pkgs red hat recommends
> for doing a
> "gnome install" or a "kde install"

Interesting...!

> the yumgroups.xml file is just red hat's comps.xml (or any
> file made up
> by any repository maintainer) that lists pkgs in certain
> groups and how
> they relate to each other.

Hhhmmm.  How would I go about capturing/creating a 'standard' yumgroups.xml based on a 'standard' RH9 mirror and/or 'standard' comps.xml file?  I've found 4 comps.xml files:

$ find /kickstart/redhat/ -name "*.xml"
/kickstart/redhat/linux/9/en/doc/RedHat/base/comps.xml
/kickstart/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/RedHat/base/comps.xml
/kickstart/redhat/linux/8.0/en/doc/RedHat/base/comps.xml
/kickstart/redhat/linux/8.0/en/os/i386/RedHat/base/comps.xml

> it's pretty cool.

That's an understatement.  ;)

BTW, I've successfully done the 'yum update' on one host, and 'yum upgrade' on another host.  Very impressive!

I then followed on with upgrading yum itself to 1.96-1 on both hosts.  I'm in the process of doing a 'yum upgrade' on the first host (I needed to add a few lines to yum.comf which were originally missing).  But I ran into a problem attempting 'yum upgrade' on the 2nd host:

$ yum
-bash: /usr/sbin/yum: No such file or directory
$ rpm -q yum
yum-1.96-1

I then made a backup of /etc/yum.conf, uninstalled then reinstalled yum-1.96-1 on the second host.  Unfortunately the error persists.  Just for fun:

$ which yum
/usr/bin/yum
$ file /usr/bin/yum
/usr/bin/yum: a /usr/bin/python script text executable

Thoughts?

jc