[Yum] RPM DB corruption after using Yum

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Mon Apr 21 19:44:03 UTC 2003

This is a pretty big snafu.  I'm not sure if it's RPM or Yum.  There's a
bugzilla entry #88720 that seems to be related, so I'm pretty sure it's
RPM or db4 or something upstream.

Here it is.

After doing "yum install openldap-clients", a "rpm -qa | grep cyrus"
gave me the following:

> cyrus-sasl-2.1.10-4
> cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.10-4
> error: db4 error(-30989) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND:
> Requested page not found

I tried a rpm --rebuilddb but got

> error: db4 error(-30989) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND:
> Requested page not found
> error: db4 error(16) from dbenv->remove: Device or resource busy

Every subsequent rpm --rebuild gives me the db4 error(16).

The problem with this is that half my RPM database is gone.  glibc,
bash, coreutils, redhat-release, tar, etc.  All disappeared.

I'm using a stock RH 9 with all updates installed.

The clue was when I fired up a yum install nptl-devel, and it downloaded
a bunch of new headers: 127 to be exact.  Only 163 remain in my RPM db.

Anybody seen this?  Anyone know how to fix it?

Joseph