[Yum] help with commandline option naming

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Apr 17 21:04:48 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 11:23, csieh wrote:
> Seth,
>

> So last week I was looking at what I thought yum still needed in the
> shortterm.  I saw that the list group contents was not there yet but on
> your todo list.  So I decided to look at writing a little patch to just
> show the rpms in a group.  Since I wanted to change as little as possible
> I decided to put the code in the "grouplist groupname" area.  Right now if
> you do a "yum grouplist "FTP Server"" you get back
>
> FTP Server
>
> .  This is usefull but what I really want to see when I use "yum grouplist
> "FTP Server"" is the list of rpms that are part of "FTP Server" .  So my
> suggestion is to just use "yum grouplist" in the case of a single group.
> Now my code does it for all of the wildcards.  Some might say this is too
> much, and maybe it is, but for me it is ok.  I really like the idea that
> in the single case it just gives the rpms too. I guess I am trying to not
> have to add more options.  I really like that yum uses "english" options
> vs "-" options as the less options the better.
>
> The patch that I wrote to do this is 4 lines of python code.  Patch
> included.  I only wrote it because it was on the todo list and I did not
> know the timeframe of this feature.

so the idea is this - if I want a list of all the groups I use grouplist
w/no options or with installed, available.

if I want a list of pkgs in a group I use grouplist "specific groupname
or wildcard"

ok, that's fine - works for me.

I'd like to address the use of pkgTree though. I thought giving some
more useful output would be handy.

So maybe for any given group it lists the groupreqs as subgroups and
then it lists the pkgs and their types.

ie:
Group Foo
 SubGroups:
 subgrp1
 subgrp2
 subgrp3

Default Metapkgs:
 emacs

Optional Metapkgs:
 does
 anyone
 care?

Mandatory Pkgs:
 foo
 bar
 baz
 quux

Default Pkgs:
 no
 way
 really?

Optional Pkgs:
 do
 we
 care?

So people get a more complete view of pkgs that would get installed.
Much of this code is already written in the semi-private
yumcomps.Groups_Info._dumppkgs

Look at what it does then consider writing a mini function of
pkgaction.py to do display of group information.

The display format is yours to do with what you will.

oh and _dumppkgs is just there and useful if you want to use yumcomps.py
independent of yum. It should run standalone quite nicely.