[Yum] Exception thrown when server not found

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Thu Apr 17 19:48:17 UTC 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 03:23:16PM -0400, Joseph Tate wrote:
> In order to back out the changes after using the file you sent, I had to
> rpm -e yum, then reinstall.  I don't know why that is, but it may help
> you in your search.

Well, I really doubt that, actually.  Here is what I bet happened:

1) by default, yum only installs .pyc files
2) I sent a .py file
3) when you ran it as root, it overwrote the original .pyc file
   with the compiled version of the new .py (because the new .py was
   newer than the old .pyc)
4) you then removed the .py
5) when you ran again, it was still effectively using the new code

This is really a non-issue.  The file should be a completely sane
drop-in replacement and can't really do any "extra damage" except for
the standard python byte-compiling described above.  You could have
alternatively made a backup copy of urlgrabber.pyc (although I'll
grant you that that's not obvious to non-python programmers) or just
left the newly written urlgrabber.pyc there.  It won't hurt anything.
In fact, it appears to fix your problem :)

> The easiest way to test is to change the yum.conf file to some
> non-existant host.

Are you missing a few words here?  Honestly, I don't think it's really
worth any more time.  The check needed to be there.  It's there now.
I don't REALLY need to see it happen because I'm completely convinced
it CAN happen.  If you're happy, I'm happy.

				-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305