[Yum] Exception thrown when server not found

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Thu Apr 17 17:09:35 UTC 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 12:58:47PM -0400, Joseph Tate wrote:
> Michael Stenner wrote:
> >I think I know what you mean, but I want to be sure:
> >
> >"no http connection can be made to the server" means it's a bad url or
> >the server is down or something.
> >
> >"a network connection isn't available" means the box you're running on
> >isn't connected to the net?  (this one I'm not sure of)  From the
> >perspective of yum, these two would be the same, so that makes sense.
>
> Yeah.
>
> #service network stop
> #yum list updates
> insert dump here.
>
> #echo "0.0.0.0   mirror.dulug.duke.edu" >> /etc/hosts
> #yum list updates
> insert dump here.

I'm having a leeetle trouble recreating this.  I'm working directly
with urlgrabber.py.  I've tried the /etc/hosts trick but I can't do
the no-network thing ATM.  It's one of the few things you can't do
remotely :)

Do me a favor.  In either case, you should still get the same error
when you do:

python2 urlgrabber.py http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/your/file /dev/null

Please verify that it does still produce the error.  The error is
clearly coming from that code, but I can't reproduce it.

I could just take the shotgun approach and catch the exception.  I
will ultimately, of course.  I just want to better understand what's
going on.

[ I'll give you a new urlgrabber shortly to test on again :) ]

				-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305