[Yum] help with commandline option naming

csieh csieh at fnal.gov
Thu Apr 17 15:23:00 UTC 2003

Seth,

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> Hey all,
>  So right now I have the grouplist groupinstall and groupupdate options.
>
> ok, that's fine - but I need a sensible name when I want to list all the
> pkgs in groupx
>
> grouplist groupname doesn't work b/c that's sorta already used in
> grouplist for wildcarding and listing only certain groups.

So last week I was looking at what I thought yum still needed in the
shortterm.  I saw that the list group contents was not there yet but on
your todo list.  So I decided to look at writing a little patch to just
show the rpms in a group.  Since I wanted to change as little as possible
I decided to put the code in the "grouplist groupname" area.  Right now if
you do a "yum grouplist "FTP Server"" you get back

FTP Server

.  This is usefull but what I really want to see when I use "yum grouplist
"FTP Server"" is the list of rpms that are part of "FTP Server" .  So my
suggestion is to just use "yum grouplist" in the case of a single group.
Now my code does it for all of the wildcards.  Some might say this is too
much, and maybe it is, but for me it is ok.  I really like the idea that
in the single case it just gives the rpms too. I guess I am trying to not
have to add more options.  I really like that yum uses "english" options
vs "-" options as the less options the better.

The patch that I wrote to do this is 4 lines of python code.  Patch
included.  I only wrote it because it was on the todo list and I did not
know the timeframe of this feature.

 > > so what should it be called?
>
> yum packagelist groupname groupname groupname?
>
> or
>
> yum packagesingroup groupname groupname groupname
>

> someone help come up with a name that seems common sense-ish.

yum grouplist <groupname>

> -sv

Connie Sieh
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory