[Yum] Problem installing multiple rpms

Tom Hines tom_hines at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 14:25:03 UTC 2003

Konstantin Riabitsev:
>If updating a package has failed (the latest version
is installed), then the transaction should fail.

I agree with the transaction part, but that's an odd
definition of update.  I agree with Eric.  I think the
definition of update should be:

  preconditions: None.
  postconditions: I have the latest version.

and not:

B:
  preconditions: I currently have an old version.
  postconditions: I have the latest version.

Why should I have to keep track of whether I have the
latest version of a package?  That's not conducive to
automation.

>My only objection to that is whether it
>is prudent to increase the complexity of yum's code
for a result
>that can be achieved using a one-liner in shell:
>
>for PKG in pkg1 pkg2 pkg3; do yum -y update $PKG;
done

That's fine, but I would still expect update to return
true if I already had the latest version of a package.
 What if I wanted to add some logic in the script
based on the return value of update?  It would be much
easier if the definition of update was A.

If yum is going to accept multiple packages for the
update command as in 'yum update pkg1 pkg2 pkg3', then
I think it should work as in A, because I would expect
that afterward, I would have the latest version of all
3.  You know, Principle of Least Surprise, etc.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Tom Hines