[Yum] how can create repositories

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bnap.hu
Thu Apr 10 21:37:43 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:
>>that would be a funny thing;-)
>>may be header.info should contains full url in this case...
>

> what does the full url mean?
> the baseurl could be relative - think about if someone is proxying or
> tunnelling it. What about file:// urls.

that's exactly what I'd like to see. full url is the concatenation of
the <base> given at the command line argument (if there is no protocol
specification then you can assume file://) plus the relative path.
in this case you can create a repository even for a remote ftp or webserver:
yum-arch ftp://x.y.com/a/b ~/yum-rep/
or even
yum-arch ftp://x.y.com/a/b /var/cache/yum/base/

> the reason header.info contains the relative path is b/c that's the only
> location we can count on being around - a path directly adjacent to the
> headers dir.
>

>>in the conf file:
>>--------------------------------
>>[base]
>>name=Red Hat Linux $releasever - $basearch - Base
>>baseurl=file:///<base>/mirror/redhat/$releasever/
>>--------------------------------
>>
>>and run
>>yum-arch <base>/mirror/redhat/8.0/ <base>/yum-repository/redhat/8.0/
>

> I'm not sure that's _less_ of a hack than a symlink.
> At the moment I'm not sure of a clean way of making sure the headers are
> nearby the pkgs and yet still allow for pointing to mirrors easily.

they have to be nearby?

>>in this case if I decided to mirror another site (eg rh contrib net
>>reborn) I just have to add on line to my mirror script and one line to
>>my yum repository generator (and I don't have to create a huge link forest).
>

> it's ONE link - how is that a link forest?

you've got right I can make the link at the top level.. you know here it
about midnight...:-(

--
  Levente                        http://petition.eurolinux.org/index_html
  "The only thing worse than not knowing the truth is