[Yum] Problem installing multiple rpms

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bnap.hu
Thu Apr 10 17:50:45 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:
>>hmm:-(((
>>for me it was a regular thing to do a
>>rpm -Fvh *.rpm
>

> Freshen installs a lot more than the expected amount of stuff.
>
> I stopped using Freshen b/c it catches that you "need" a lot more things
> than you do.

can you give me an example? I never see (or just not recognize it?)
I usualy do kernel and glibc by hand and all other by rpm -Fvh *

>>in the updates directory and I _like_ the features that I dont have to
>>write all packages. the same is apply when a new security updates comes
>>out for samba eg:
>>rpm -Uvh samba*.rpm
>>so IMHO multiple argument is a good thing!
>>may be some kind of refresh (-F) would be useful to yum too. in this
>>case postcondition of
>>yum update pkg1 pkg2 pkg3
>

> This is why I like 'yum update' (no args)

it's not a solution in a production enviroment! eg in case of kernel you
should have to reboot ASAP since some kernel modul can't loaded if it
just required after the update! another example our samba server
_should_ have to run 24 hour a day it can be stopped on saturday between
20-24. ok I know about exclude but there is a few server on which I
would like to select the packages manualy (since I belive in myself
which is the biggest mistake) but after I select them I'd like to update
them in a branch.

>>anyway I'm a lazy man and I don't like to type so much so I prefer the
>>gnu style options (both long and sort version):
>>- who would like to be readable type:
>>   rpm --upgrade pkg
>>- those lazy just type
>>   rpm -U pkg
>>so I like to see short options for info, list, update ...
>>I know this is just cosmetic, but...
>

> The command names are short enough and adding a shorter version will
> promote more confusion and will just add code the command line parsing.
> In short: No, I don't want to add "short versions" of everything.

this is just a matter of taste, but I'm still lazy:-(((