[Yum] Problem installing multiple rpms

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Apr 10 17:34:34 UTC 2003

> hmm:-(((
> for me it was a regular thing to do a
> rpm -Fvh *.rpm

Freshen installs a lot more than the expected amount of stuff.

I stopped using Freshen b/c it catches that you "need" a lot more things
than you do.

> in the updates directory and I _like_ the features that I dont have to
> write all packages. the same is apply when a new security updates comes
> out for samba eg:
> rpm -Uvh samba*.rpm
> so IMHO multiple argument is a good thing!
> may be some kind of refresh (-F) would be useful to yum too. in this
> case postcondition of
> yum update pkg1 pkg2 pkg3

This is why I like 'yum update' (no args)

> anyway I'm a lazy man and I don't like to type so much so I prefer the
> gnu style options (both long and sort version):
> - who would like to be readable type:
>    rpm --upgrade pkg
> - those lazy just type
>    rpm -U pkg
> so I like to see short options for info, list, update ...
> I know this is just cosmetic, but...

The command names are short enough and adding a shorter version will
promote more confusion and will just add code the command line parsing.
In short: No, I don't want to add "short versions" of everything.