[Yum] Re: Problem installing multiple rpms

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Thu Apr 10 17:25:53 UTC 2003

On 10 Apr 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> > If pkg 1 were fully updated I would _like_ it to check pkg2 and pkg3
> > and update them if required. Is their some technical reason for not doing
> > it this way?? Since I run a local repository for stuff I push to the
> > machines I do not normally do installs/updates that way but since you
> > asked....... :-)
>
> I thought it would surprise users to have a process complete
> successfully when one of the packages is not installed or updated.

I think installed or updated are 2 seperate issues. If I say install
pkg 1, 2, 3 and only 2 and 3 are installed there should be some king of warning
or optionally have yum stop and complain. If however you are upgrading and
one of the packages is already up to date I do not see the harm in continuing
to update the other packages without much if any fanfare. I see it as kinda
like doing rpm -Fvh pkg1 pkg2 pkg3. Using this command line rpm will only update
that which has updated packages. If the admin screwed up and did not include
all of the updates in the repository than that is on him/her. All of this
assumes that deps are satisfied. If there are deps problems then things should
barf.

Does this make sense or am I missing something??

> in 1.95 the function which does update entries has an option that can be
> passed to it that makes it warn but not exit on a pkg being
> updated/installed and being requested.
>
> It _could_ become an option but I don't think it would become a default.

Am I to understand that options to the function != options to yum?? I do not
have any problem with the above being an option.

As long as I can configure it myself I am a happy camper. :-)

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl at rogueind.com	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....