[Yum] Problem installing multiple rpms

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bnap.hu
Thu Apr 10 17:23:21 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:
>>	VDQ (Very Dumb Question): so the expected behavior of the user
>>in that case is to try
>>
>>	yum update pkg2 pkg3
>>
>>and then if it exits again,
>>
>>	yum update pkg3
>>
>>and so on, for however many pkg# there are?
>>
>>	If so, is there a way to automate it? Should there be?
>>
>>	I can't speak for yum, but I've certainly hit situations with
>>rpm -Uvh where I had to use whatever.*.rpm -- either because I had
>>several installed and needed several more in optimal sequence, or just
>>because I needed a whole wad of them. And it worked. Dunno if the
>>comparison is relevant ....
>

> I was trying to emulate the good parts of rpm -i and -U and fix the bad
> parts.
>

> good parts of rpm -i and rpm -U: it will do a bunch of operations, it
> will install stuff sanely, it will bail if it encounters weirdness.
>
> bad parts:
>
> rpm -i -  will not update things that are installed.
>
> rpm -U - will install things w/o asking you about it - so you could get
> a lot more than you expect.
>
> imo, installing things without asking in rpm -U makes it dangerous - you
> could accidentally get more than you wanted.
>
> does that help the explanation.

hmm:-(((
for me it was a regular thing to do a
rpm -Fvh *.rpm
in the updates directory and I _like_ the features that I dont have to
write all packages. the same is apply when a new security updates comes
out for samba eg:
rpm -Uvh samba*.rpm
so IMHO multiple argument is a good thing!
may be some kind of refresh (-F) would be useful to yum too. in this
case postcondition of
yum update pkg1 pkg2 pkg3
is that all of the pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 are installed (and the latest version).
postcondition of
yum refresh pkg1 pkg2 pkg3
is that all of the pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 are installed (and the latest version)
which has previosly installed.

anyway I'm a lazy man and I don't like to type so much so I prefer the
gnu style options (both long and sort version):
- who would like to be readable type:
   rpm --upgrade pkg
- those lazy just type
   rpm -U pkg
so I like to see short options for info, list, update ...
I know this is just cosmetic, but...