[Yum] how can create repositories

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bnap.hu
Thu Apr 10 17:12:00 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 04:34, Farkas Levente wrote:
>
>>hi,
>>we try to use yum and create our own repositories. but where to puit
>>them? in your example repositories you put the headers in the middle of
>>the mirror sites. but this is not a perfect solution since the daily
>>mirror (rsync) will delete the headers dir and after the rep. generator
>>have to regenerate the whole directory. so what we can do?
>>yours.
>

> Here's how I do it here.
>
> we have two paths:
> /pub/redhat/linux/$distrover - this is where the main mirror is
>
> /pub/yum-repository/redhat/$distrover - this is where the yum repos are
>
> I make a directory for each of the versions of rhl I want to setup up
> repos for then I symlink the RedHat dir into that directory.
> Then run "yum-arch -l ." from w/i that dir.
>
> so I'm making the headers in a different dir via symlink so the mirror
> updates don't blow it up.
>
> Does that make sense?

I make sense, but IMHO it a hack and not an ideal solution. especially
since you write this program. if some made it in this was than this can
be one of the good solution, but in this case ...
IMHO it would be good if yum can place the repository in a different
directory by design (since most user even you use it in this way). and
as I can see there is a header.info file which contains a reference to
the rpm files itself. so it would be a useful extension to add a new
optional parameter to
yum-arch <rpm-dir> <repository-dir>
in this case you can separate the to things, what's more in this case
you can create funny thing:-)

another suggestion to add possibility to
- install scr.rpms
- to use a proxy
- ... just see eg urpmi for other useful options.

these are just my 2c!
yours.