[Yum] Problem installing multiple rpms

Smith, Eric V. ericsmith at windsor.com
Thu Apr 10 11:09:44 UTC 2003

I'm having problems installing multiple rpm's with the same yum
invocation, if the first rpm is installed.  For example, I have
cyrus-imap installed, but not cyrus-imapd-utils.  I'm running a script
that decides it wants to install both of these packages.  The script
isn't smart enough to know what's already installed, so it just runs yum
to install both.  Yum says:

[root at saltwood root]# yum -y install cyrus-imapd cyrus-imapd-utils
Gathering package information from servers
Getting headers from: ReadHat Linux 8.0 Base
Getting headers from: evs local packages
Getting headers from: ReadHat Linux 8.0 Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
cyrus-imapd is installed and is the latest version.

But it doesn't try to install cyrus-imapd-utils.  Is this a bug, or
expected behavior?  My solution so far has been to run yum once for
every package I want to install, but that's much slower.  If neither rpm
is installed, then the above command will install both rpms.

I haven't tried this with more that 2 rpms, but I assume it's just
stopping on the first one it finds is already installed.

I'm running yum-1.0-1_80 on RH 8.0, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any insight.
Eric