[Yum] Traceback with "yum grouplist"

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Apr 8 20:26:08 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 16:09, csieh wrote:
> Seth,
>
> We are starting to work on our release based on RedHat 9.  So we have
> started to test the new yum(the 1.95 version).  One of the new features
> that I really like are the "group" commands.  So I did a "yum grouplist"
> and yum died with a traceback.

This is pretty much a first pass at those commands so I'm not terribly
surprised there are some bugs.

> I did a "yum -d 4 grouplist" with most of the "not needed stuff
> removed".  So it looks like it did not do well without a yumgroups.xml
> file. I copied my comps.xml file over as RedHat/RPMS/yumgroups.xml and
> that fixed the first try at a yumgroups.xml file, but it tried to find one
> for each repository. I doubt that this is really needed.

well, -d 3 should cover you for most of the group stuff.
but even so it shouldn't complain about the yumgroups.xml missing - it
will warn you but it won't error out there.

> I modified my yum.conf to take out some of the repositories so that I
> could get past this error and did a "yum grouplist" and it worked great.
> I then did a "yum groupinstall "Openafs client" and it work great too.
> I do have one question though.  Is the "group" name case sensitive?

yes.

> wnloading needed headers
> Getting groups from servers
> getting groups from server: 90rollingserver
> Error getting file ftp://linux1.fnal.gov/linux/90rolling/i386/RedHat/RPMS/yumgroups.xml
> [Errno 6] ERROR: Url Return no Content-Length  - something is wrong
> Got a file - yay
> getting groups from server: 90rollingupdates
> Error getting file ftp://linux1.fnal.gov/linux/90rolling/i386/updates/RedHat/RPMS/yumgroups.xml
> [Errno 6] ERROR: Url Return no Content-Length  - something is wrong
> Got a file - yay
> getting groups from server: yum
> Error getting file ftp://linux1.fnal.gov/linux/contrib/yum/901/RPMS/yumgroups.xml
> [Errno 6] ERROR: Url Return no Content-Length  - something is wrong
> Got a file - yay

ok  all of these are ok and will only output when the debug level is 3
or higher - I did that on purpose.

All it's saying is it can't find a groups file at each of these places.

> Adding Group from 90rollingserver
> /var/cache/yum/90rollingserver/yumgroups.xml:1: error: Document is empty
>
> ^
> /var/cache/yum/90rollingserver/yumgroups.xml:1: error: Start tag expected, '<' not found
>
> ^

now _this_ is the real error

Is that yumgroups.xml file modified in some way? One of those is messed
up somehow b/c libxml is complaining.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/sbin/yum", line 45, in ?
>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "yummain.py", line 202, in main
>   File "yumcomps.py", line 65, in add
>   File "comps.py", line 297, in __init__
>   File "comps.py", line 301, in load
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 970, in parseFile
>     if ret is None:raise parserError('xmlParseFile() failed')
> libxml2.parserError: xmlParseFile() failed

I should definitely catch this - and I'm surprised comps.py isn't
catching it.