[Yum] yum-arch on Solaris?

Paul Mitchell mitchell at ph.ed.ac.uk
Mon Apr 7 20:34:24 UTC 2003

Hi,

Just started looking at yum today as a replacement for our current
RedHat repository based on apt-get.  Looking very promising, but the
snag is that I have to host the repository for the RedHat RPMs on a
Solaris system for boring local reasons.  I bent the scripts which made
the apt repository a bit to make them work on Solaris, but the snag is
that doing the same to make yum-arch work on Solaris appears more
tricky.  I'm pretty much totally ignorant of python, so I'm a bit lost
here.  But all I want is to make yum-arch work on Solaris to produce
the headers files.

Any chance of me getting this working?  I have Python 1.5.2 on the
system in question, and compiled and made yum 1.0 ok.  But when I try
and execute yum-arch, it seems to need a module for rpm (presumably
so it can understand the contents of each RPM):

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/Install/yum/bin/yum-arch", line 23, in ?
    import pullheaders
  File "pullheaders.py", line 23, in ?
    import rpm
ImportError: No module named rpm

Can any kind soul tell me a way I might be able to get this working,
or tell me not to try as it's a non-starter?

Thanks! Paul