[Yum] Bug for stupid situations... Needs error message

Andrew Schretter schrett at math.duke.edu
Tue Apr 1 14:58:28 UTC 2003

Seth,
   I know this is an obscure occurance, but it left me
searching for a bit to find out what it was complaining
about...

On our dept. systems, we only install samba-common and
samba-client rpms, not the samba rpm which contains the
server stuff.  So, our yum repository only has the client
packages.  BUT, if I happen to have the samba package installed
on a system, and then get a new version of samba (for all
packages) and try to update it, it crashes with the error :

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 44, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "yummain.py", line 202, in main
  File "nevral.py", line 263, in resolvedeps
  File "archwork.py", line 63, in bestarch
IndexError: list index out of range

because it only finds samba-common and samba-client in the yum
repository and needs samba in order to satify dependancies and
complete the install.

Just a place where a good error message would help.

Andrew Schretter
Systems Programmer, Duke University
Dept. of Mathematics (919) 660-2866