[Yum] Just a tiny warning...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Sep 24 14:49:47 UTC 2002

Just a leedle warning.  Because of a bug/failure/stupidity on my part my
root alias on my web/mail host at home didn't work.  At the same time,
the headers were corrupted on a DSL update. Consequently, yum crashed
every night and I didn't get the mail from cron telling me of the crash.
Lucky me.  Lazy me.

By the time I got around to actually checking the system by hand (a
process I do when I have a moment to breathe, which happens rarely
enough in my life) and noticed the failure, I'd been "slapped" (see
www.cert.org) by means of my non-yum-updated unpatched apache/mod_ssl
setup.

Not much of a moral to this story -- raw stupidity is its own reward or
the like.  More of a suggestion to CHECK (more rapidly than a month
later) when a critical security update comes out to make sure that yum
has indeed done its thing and not to take silence for correct operation
(even if it generally is).

Sigh.

Time to go beat my head against the wall.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu