[Yum] traceback encountered

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Sat Sep 7 13:08:26 UTC 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Connie Sieh wrote:

> As long as we are talking about the first pass to get the headers.  I have
> seen it just stop alot.  I installed yum on my system at home.  It has a
> cable modem.  Yum would download a few headers and then stop.  I would
> restart it and it would get a few more.  I resorted to getting them via
> ncftp.
>
> I was thinking that we might have to package up the headers as a rpm and
> install it when we install yum.  This will thus seed the cache and yum
> will then only have to get new headers.

Absolutely fabulous idea -- I was thinking something similar but didn't
think of it being a "pre" rpm, just a tarball.  I also run installs from
home over DSL and the system I borked was a DSL install.  It is a heck
of a lot easier (and faster) to install just one big file than a lot of
little files and just do the updates.

The rpm (or tarball) could probably be generated at the same time as the
headers themselves, by the same script.

  rgb