[Yum] traceback encountered

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Fri Sep 6 20:33:16 UTC 2002

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On 6 Sep 2002, seth vidal wrote:
>

>>of course it does. exception handling is easy - but you have to grab the
>>exception first - I hadn't encountered it much/at all - I'd still like
>>to more gracefully handle a broken header.
>

> What you need is to put salt on the tail of a broken header or two; then
> you could play with it until you could handle at least them.
>
> Alas I through my broken headers away (and I'd guess Troy did too).  I
> therefore have no idea why they were broken in the first place or where
> they were broken.  Next time I get an error like this, though, I'll try
> to send you the contents of the header directory to debug with.
>
> I'd debug it myself, except that (as previously noted) I will learn
> python only if somebody ties me to a table and threatens me with hot
> irons.  Too many programming languages...
>
> Historically this (hot irons) happens every year or two (seems like) so
> I'll probably be programming in it regularly by mid-2003...;-)
>
>    rgb
>
> Robert G. Brown	                       http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
> Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
> Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
> Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu

Now that I know what the problem is, I'm pretty sure I know how it happened.
The user was running off a wireless card, and I was doing a yum update for the
first time.  It was busy pulling down the header files when it just stopped, I
believe because of a bad network connection or something.  I then killed yum,
started it again, and away it went.  But evidently that header that it got
stuck on much have been mangled.
So maybe if you pull the network halfway through a header update, we can get a
nice mangled header.

Troy