[Yum] traceback encountered

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Sep 6 15:38:59 UTC 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Howdy,
> This traceback might be a problem on the machine's end, and not yum.  I just
> need a little pointing in the right direction.
>
> The problem is on a 7.3 machine, with rpm 4.0.4, python 1.5.2-38, and as far
> as I can tell, pretty much like any other machine.  It is a laptop, if that
> has anthing to do with anything.  Here is the traceback
>
> # yum update
> Gathering package information from servers
> Getting headers from: Fermi Linux 73rolling main
> Getting headers from: Fermi Linux 73rolling updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> Traceback (innermost last):
>    File "/usr/sbin/yum", line 24, in ?
>      yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>    File "yummain.py", line 201, in main
>    File "nevral.py", line 219, in resolvedeps
>    File "nevral.py", line 69, in getHeader
>    File "clientStuff.py", line 167, in readHeader
>    File "/usr/lib/python1.5/gzip.py", line 150, in read
>      self._read(readsize)
>    File "/usr/lib/python1.5/gzip.py", line 201, in _read
>      uncompress = self.decompress.flush()
> zlib.error: Error -5 while decompressing

I had a similar problem when I had a messed up NFS mount of
/var/cache/yum/server.  For one reason or another the images of
installed files and installed headers got into an inconsistent state
that caused a crash, possibly because yum lost write permissions
somewhere that it needed them, possibly because some files were
corrupted and it couldn't deal with the corruption without crashing.

Try deleting or moving and recreating /var/cache/yum/[server,packages]
and see if it (after completely rebuilding its headers and rpm cache,
unfortunately) doesn't proceed correctly once again.

   rgb