[Yum] Yum RFE

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Oct 16 21:40:58 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 02:02, Dan Burcaw wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I apologize if this has been talked about.. but a really
> swell feature would allow me to specify an alternate location
> for the headers.
>
> I've pushed apt-get on my users in the last 6 months, and just telling
> them to move to yum would be... errr... rough :-)
>
> So, I'd like to provide support for both. To do this I would
> likely generate the approproriate repositories for each on my
> master ftp server.  However, I'm concerned that having the
> headers as a subdir inside the main packages directory would
> cause some apt-get confusion.

This might be tricky - the header.info file is the reason - it is yum's
quick index file.

it stores this information:

epoch:name-ver-rel-arch=relative/path/to/the/rpm

that relative path part would be tricky - we would have to make sure
that the headers path still matched the relative path and then it won't
care AT ALL where the headers are. but those two paths would have to
stay insync other wise I can't be completely sure I've got the right
package - afterall filename does not necessarily have anything to do
with packagename.

I don't think apt should care at all - I'm not familiar with how apt
builds its repositories but I can't imagine it indexes EVERY file
willy-nilly. I figure it would just go after rpms. So it should happily
ignore the .hdr files.

-sv