[Yum] I'm back and future stuff

Vladimir Bormotov bor at vb.dn.ua
Thu Jun 27 18:41:56 UTC 2002

		Hi!

SV> I think I will tend to agree with linus, big patches suck. Can you
SV> isolate what they are patching? ie: a reget patch, a tabbing patch, a
SV> doc patch etc etc.

 You can help to minimize patches.

 just read

 http://www.python.org/doc/essays/styleguide.html
 http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html

 and aplly style recomendation to source code as rules ;)

 brief "python-styling":

 Indentation

   4 spaces for one level.

   for example, look at yum-0.8.9/lilo.py, class LiloConfigFile.

   cass declaration at first posotion.  Nice.
   def __repr__ - indented with 4 spaces.  Very nice.
   s = "" indented with one tab character.  Ooops!!!!

   look below, into def needsEnterpriseKernel:

   for l in f.readlines() indented with 4 spaces, but body indented with
   tab character.  ;-/

   === styleguide cut ===
   Tabs or Spaces?

    Never mix tabs and spaces. The most popular way of indenting Python is
    with spaces only.
   ===

  Please, NO TAB CHAR IN PYTHON CODE!

 Maximum Line Length

   Guido say: "please limit all lines to a maximum of 79 characters".
   PEP-8 say: "limiting the length to 72 characters is recommended"

 Whitespace in Expressions and Statements

   NO spaces:
    * Immediately inside parentheses, brackets or braces
    * Immediately before a comma, semicolon, or colon
    * Immediately before the open parenthesis
    * More than one space around an assignment operator
    * around the '=' sign when used to indicate a keyword argument or a
      default parameter value

   Always put spases:
    * surround these binary operators with a single space on either side:
      assignment, comparisons, Booleans

  In our code we always use one space after comma.  No trailing
  whitespeces.

 Comments

   starts with a # and a single space (unless it is indented text inside
   the comment)

--
		Bor.