[Yum] Upgrade in place succeeded, I think...

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jun 19 04:31:55 UTC 2002

> I'm thinking seth might not be really excited about this, but how
> about an option to yum that makes it update its cache of headers
> and/or rpms without installing/upgrading/removing anything?

so it won't update a dir of rpms unless it knows you want to do
something. And if you want to keep a complete archive of rpms, use
rsync. its safer and intended for this job.

> This might be nice to if you want to have it do all of the slow stuff
> overnight, but don't quite trust it enough to let it do everything.
> You can get SOME of this functionality by just waiting until morning
> to hit 'y', but I think it still needs to get the rpms, then, right?

yes but its much easier to throw them in the cachedir - the cache
checking is fairly unintelligent - is the file there? if so then use it.

> I think it would be reasonable to have yum automatically remove rpms
> from the cache after they are successfully installed.  You'd also need
> to provide a --clean-cache command though in case people never
> followed through on the install.  These would be slightly more
> advanced features, but I wouldn't think they'd be too hard to
> implement.

yum clean [packages| headers | oldheaders ]

having it run automatically is definitely an option - I'd probably just
want yum clean packages running - but the default action for just 'yum
clean' is oldheaders and packages.

> Related, and this might address rgb's comments better... you could
> provide multiple caches for yum to look in for rpms, perhaps giving
> each of them an optional 'noremove' flag for shared caches.

I don't think that helps the problem and just increases the complexity
for the urlgrabbing. It would also mean doing A LOT of work if/when file
urls are supported.

though its not impossible - just more work.
:-/