[Yum] once more little bug (or feature :) )

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jun 19 00:51:53 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 13:28, Grigory Bakunov wrote:
> Date |18 Jun 2002 13:24:34 -0400
> >From |seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu>

looping obsoletes:

so the situation is as follows:
zebra obsoletes gated
gated obsoletes zebra.

if zebra is installed then when a yum update is run then zebra will be
replaced by gated b/c I wrote obsoletes to be included in updates.

this will clearly break day after day b/c in the above situation you
will oscillate b/t zebra and gated.

suck.

so I think the solution is sorta like this:

yum update - this provides SOLELY updates of stuff you have installed
and their requisite depdencies.

so we need some way to deal with obsoletes. Option number 1 is to have a
different mode that copes with obsoletes, but, in the case of zebra and
gated it won't help too much. You may want to upgrade zebra but not
obsolete it by gated.

so I think it should work like this:

yum update -> solely updates
yum upgrade -> updates + obsoletes, but (and this will suck for users
some) - all obsoletes must be confirmed by user input.

then the nightly runs stay the same yum update.

special-case upgrades can be handled separately.

this _might_ (much to my chagrin) allow us to handle some weird
situations that rgb was talking about earlier.

comments, suggestions?