[Yum] Upgrade in place succeeded, I think...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jun 18 18:40:27 UTC 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Michael Stenner wrote:

> Related, and this might address rgb's comments better... you could
> provide multiple caches for yum to look in for rpms, perhaps giving
> each of them an optional 'noremove' flag for shared caches.

Well, so far the trivial solution (mounting the unflushed
/var/cache/yum/server/[packages,headers] directories) isn't working --
yum pretty much insists on getting all the headers AGAIN and barfs if
one tries to feed it headers one already has.  Curiously, even if one
humors it and lets it get its own headers and build its own header.info
file, it so far seems to insist on getting all the rpm's all over again,
even if they are all "there".

Clearly yum is highly state aware, but I cannot see where its memory of
state is that causes it to re-download the sources so I can defeat it.
I suppose I could look at the source code, but then my head would
explode as I'd find myself learning python.  So I guess I'll just let it
finish this second install the hard way.

I don't need the bandwidth all that much anyway, and the host is a
print/compute server only.

    rgb