[Yum] yum.conf

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jun 18 15:18:09 UTC 2002

> Is there some simple way to fix this that I'm ignorant of EXCEPT to do
> it inside a yum-like tool that can do the requisite marking and
> dependency resolution all at one time before proceeding?

in the case kdesdk-devel - remove it - I did. nothing depends on it.
in the case of sendmail-smrsh - I can put an obsolete in the rpm for 7.3
- but this is NOT the place to discuss that.

> That would be a tolerable approach, but what does Red Hat do when one
> selects the "upgrade" option in a 7.3 reinstall?  It does the wrong
> thing in some ways (trashing and rebuilding the base filesystem,
> trashing key configuration files) but it does the right thing as far as
> package selection.  In fact, I'd say that this "defines" the right thing
> for yum to do if one enters a newly defined "yum upgrade".

1. red hat puts "remove this shite" messages in their release-notes -
check out the release notes for 7.2 and 7.3 - you'll note a little
"remove all ximian stuff" in there.

2. In certain cases they fudge it, in other cases they bail.