[Yum] yum.conf

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jun 18 13:12:17 UTC 2002

> I also have to disagree with your premise.  As I said, if I (as an
> installer) CHOOSE the upgrade option, I'm basically directing the tool
> to reinstall the system from a specified rpm base.  It would be
> perfectly reasonable to totally ignore old dependency information and do
> a clean reinstall of all installed packages (or better, all packages
> that overlap or contain installed files).  That would confine dependency
> checking to only the new tree, where it belongs.  If the new tree is
> screwed up, well, that IS under your control and can at least be fixed
> in just one place.
>
> I'll also state unambiguously -- many (most?) of the future users of yum
> will not be able to cope with the stream of messages indicating
> conflicted dependencies on an upgrade.  If it ain't automagic for them,
> it's broke.  They won't care about who screwed up or why it isn't
> working, they'll just consider the tool broken and will drop it.

Does that mean I'll get fewer requests like this? :)
Also - "Stream of messages"? In your case its a stream b/c you've
installed a fair bit of bizarre crap. "most users" won't have done that
to their systems.

The problem with "automagic" is that it is not. It frequently breaks
things.

What I _should_ be able to do is catch the conflict errors and suggest a
course of action for the user. To remove/ignore them automatically will
cause a lot of pain, I can think that the "you overwrote my ___________"
emails will be MUCH worse to deal with than the "it doesn't resolve my
broken package conflict" emails.

One way to deal with it would be to prompt the user with the default
being to mark the older pkg to be erased and rerun the dependency
resolution.

It would take longer for the user but its possible.

I'm not sure I'm terribly happy with this, though.