[Yum] yum.conf

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jun 17 16:42:37 UTC 2002

A suggestion:

Put a very simple yum.conf suitable for Duke in the man page OR comment
out the updates and finished sections in the distribution rpm.

Both the [updates] and [finished] sections will cause yum to fail even
if pointed at e.g. install.dulug.duke.edu/pub/linux/updates (a
reasonable guess).  It is also hard to see what they are for from man
yum.conf, and whether or not yum will work without them.  Might be nice
to add a comment or two regarding purpose, at least...

Empirically,

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log

[server]
name=7.3 main
baseurl=http://install.dulug.duke.edu/pub/linux/dulug-7.3/i386

# [updates]
# name=7.3 updates
# baseurl=http://install.dulug.duke.edu/pub/linux/updates/

# [finished]
# name=dulug finished rpms
# baseurl=http://localhost/finished/

seems to work locally.  I'm trying a running update from 7.2 -> 7.3 as I
write this and it is telling me that it is getting a very long list of
.hdr files, so I presume that it is working.  It'll take a while to know
for sure over a DSL line...;-)

Looks lovely, otherwise.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu