[Yum] Gziped headers patch

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Jun 15 22:04:46 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-06-15 at 17:20, seth vidal wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-06-15 at 11:35, Grigory Bakunov wrote:
> > Hello.
> > I make a little patch to work with gziped headers for yum.
> > patch attached.
> >
> > also i found another silly bug
>
> thanks for the catch on the dumb bug.
>
> about the gzip headers patch. I think I want to do 2 things differently.
>
> 1. I think -z would be a better command arg than -C - just to decrease
> confusion. That seem ok?
>
> 2. I think adding YUM1 is just going to cause other levels of confusion.
> So we can support both compressed and uncompressed headers how about
> having a "yumheaders" dir and a "headers" dir. Alternatively we could
> differentiate in the header file name  instead of: pkg-e-v-r.arch.hdr
> have it be pkg-e-v-r.arch.zhdr
>
> Then, you could have both types of headers in the headers/ dir on the
> server and have a headers.info and/or a zheaders.info file.
>

> In fact, that might be the easiest way. Create both compressed and
> uncompressed by default (and it wouldn't take too long b/c other than
> duke there are probably not many folks using it :) Just make a different
> headers.info file and an attempt a getting of both when you first grab
> the headers info file in yummain.get_package_info_from_servers(). If you
> find zheaders, use it, if you don't then fall back to uncompressed
> headers.
>

> That way we're not adding anything to the rpm header.
> I'm not certain but, I don't think the header will load properly with
> YUM1 prepended to it. though it would be worth testing.
>

> Thanks for the patch. That should work well (you even patched the man
> page :)

So I was thinking some more about how to handle the compressed headers
to not break the current people using it until they get a new client
which supports patched headers.

At the same time I've been thinking about a problem I was worried about
with namespace collision.

I realized that calling the subdir on the server 'headers' was just
asking for trouble. its a generic name, it could mean almost anything
and go with almost any program. so I thought about calling the dir
yumhdr or yumheaders or something like that.

If we make the -z make compressed headers into a different dir then its
easy to distinguish the clients with compressed vs uncompressed support
and its easy to then get rid of the too-generic 'headers' name and get
compressed headers out of it.

I also think that the best place to distinguish versions of yum should
probably be in the header.info file - maybe a leading line telling the
version?

That sound like a reasonable solution?