[Yum] pkg groups

Connie Sieh csieh at fnal.gov
Fri Jun 14 15:21:55 UTC 2002

Seth,

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, seth vidal wrote:

> Hi all,
>  Running into a conceptual snag with pkg groups I wanted to probe the
> list about.
>
> so I first thought that using the red hat comps format would be
> common/familiar and expandable enough for most people.
>
> Then I looked in more detail at the problem of conditional pkgs.
>
> ie:
>
> 0 group name here {
>   pkg1
>   pkg2
>   pkg3
>   pkg4
>   ? conditionalgroup {
>     pkga
>     pkgb
>     pkgc
>   }
>   pkg5
>   pkg6
>   pkg7
> }
>

> in this example - if the group conditionalgroup is tagged to be
> installed then also install pkga, pkgb and pkgc
>
> That works great in anaconda b/c it knows which groups are tagged as
> installed.
>
> Doesn't work so well when there is no group-state being maintained.

Why not just "assume" that this is what they want.  Just exactly as the
group indicates.  Do not remember or try to figure out what they have
already.

I do not know why you want groups but my need is the case where someone
installed say 7.3 and picked "GNOME".  Then later they decide they want to
add "KDE".  The "KDE" group contains lots of stuff.  It would be really
nice if yup could figure out all of that "KDE" group and install it along
with the conditional dependencies.  Some things may already be installed.
If so you have the choice of skipping those or installing them over.  I
guess the functionality I am looking for is similar to a update install
where you would in my example above select "KDE".  RedHat would then
install "Base"(You always get Base even if it if there and ok) and you
would get "KDE" too.

So based on this I think you need to keep comps.

--Connie Sieh
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory

Yep I work with Troy Dawson.  We are searching for a replacement for
autorpm.