[Yum] logging and error logging

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jun 12 20:29:53 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:22:09PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> logging will soon be like this:
>
> yum -d 0-1 == nothing, only serious errors that cause an exit
> yum -d 2 == standard output - just informational messages, questions,
> etc
> yum -d 3+ == debug - gratuitous output - increasing as the number
> increases
>
> error logs would always get printed and file (syslog-style) logs would
> also always occur.
>
> the -d # would only affect output and debug logs.

Let me see if I get this.

1) -d # has no effect on what's printed to the log file
2) -d # has no effect on the printing of errors (they're always
   printed to stdout or stderr)
3) -d # only effects HOW MUCH stuff gets printed to stdout/stderr

Is that right?  If so, it sounds good to me.
I take it the default is 2 and -d 0 is for things like cron jobs?
Is there a difference between 0 and 1?

					-Michael
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305