[Yum] ftp urls

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jun 11 20:10:52 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 15:54, Jack Neely wrote:
> Seth,
>
> I don't quite understand the thing about no Contenet-Length...but it
> appears that FTP urls aren't working.

so the idea is this - an ftp server hands back just about zero
information. "more current" ftp servers pass back a content-length. So I
check to see if the content-length header is available from an attempted
ftp download.

According to the urllib docs this is the best I can hope for w/o
splitting out each of the url grabs to ftplib, httplib etc.

(which I might do, but not at the moment)

so - upgrade you ftp server and I bet it will work just fine.

or use http :)

> [root at anduril tmp]# /usr/sbin/yum -d 4 update
>  Gathering package information from servers
>  server name/cachedir:7.3 main-/var/cache/yum/server
> ERROR: Url Return no Content-Length  - something is wrong
> [root at anduril tmp]#

yes, but isn't it a nice error message? :)

maybe I should just check if scheme==ftp then respond with "your ftp
server might suck"

vsftpd 1.0+ appears to do the right thing.

if anyone wants to test if their ftp server is good do this. right a
short script:

something like:

import clientStuff

clientStuff.urlgrab('myurlhere','placetoputthefile')

see if it bails for you.