[Yum] Re: Yum and kernel upgrades?

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Dec 22 03:46:38 UTC 2002

On 22 Dec 2002, Vladimir Bormotov wrote:

> 		Hi, seth!

> >> (tigger pts10) # rpm -Uvh yum-0.9.3-1.src.rpm
> >> Segmentation fault
> >>

>  sv> Bizarre. I can't replicate this on an 8.0 machine.
>
>  stop.

Why?? :-)

>  rpm -Uhv for src.rpm ?

Try it it works. I have been doing it that way for years. It does exactly
the same thing as rpm -ivh src.rpm. Except for installing kernels I always
install new rpms with -Uvh. It is a habit I got into before the -F option
was invented for rpm.

>  rpm --rebuild yum*src.rpm
>  rpm -Uhv yum*noarch.rpm
>
>  or
>
>  rpm -ihv yum*src.rpm
>  etc...

I like to unpack src rpms the first time I build them. I got the thing built
by building it from the tarball. It is just that AFAIK rpm -Uvh *.src.rpm
is supposed to work and it does not so I thought Seth would be interested.

In fact it does not work on 2 machines I have here.

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl at rogueind.com	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....