[Yum] Fermi Linux Repository

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Fri Dec 20 18:38:59 UTC 2002

Hi Angle,
We tried a variety of different packages, apt, yum, autoupdate and others, and
evaluated them.  apt and yum were the top two we found, but we ended up going
with yum.

apt did have some things that yum doesn't, mainly a graphical interface if
wanted, but since that wasn't high on our priorities, it didn't help.  apt
also had the ability to create it's own local header respository for
repositories that don't already have one.  But this is very network intensive
so we weren't sure if it was a plus or a minus.

But there was two main things that caused us to use yum.
1-Since yum is based off the rpm-python libraries, it get's better as rpm
get's better, automatically.  We also have the same rpm for both our 7.1.1
release and our 7.3.1 release, without having to recompile.  Since our 7.1.1
release has an older version of rpm, there are some things that it doesn't do
as well, but it still does it main job without problems.

2-apt is very picky, it makes the repository have to be perfect, and I don't
mean just the headers, all the rpm's have to be just right. This ended up
being annoying, and as we looked into the future, we didn't want to be
burdoned with this.
yum on the other hand will let you install anything as long as you could do it
by hand by rpm in the first place (as long as you don't force it).  It let you
add things to your local machine without it knowing, and it doesn't whine
about that, it just accepts it and moves on.

There were some other things like responsiveness of the developers and how
quick bug fixes and features were inplemented, but the main thing was that
second point for us.

Troy Dawson

Angles Puglisi wrote:
> I just wondering, could you point me to a summary about the benefits and
> differences of Yum vs. apt for rpm? Or your own personal experiences if you have
> tried both?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> That's "angle" as in geometry.

Troy Dawson  dawson at fnal.gov  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  CSI Group