[Yum] Yum for syncing with repository

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Aug 28 04:26:34 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 16:37, Andrew Schretter wrote:
> I had mentioned this to Seth and wanted to bounce it around the list and
> see if anyone objected to adding a small bit of functionality...
>
> I propose an added list option, something like "yum list extra" that will
> compare the list of installed RPMs with those in all repositories.  It will
> then report any RPMs that are installed on the local system that are not
> in the repositories.  It would only compare based on name, not on version.
>
> The purpose of such an addition would be to help in syncronizing a system
> with a repository where, for instance, packages are removed from the
> repository.  Nightly you would run "yum install \*" then "yum list extra"
> to find any packages installed that have been removed from the repository
> so you can pipe the results to a script for removing the rpms.

the scripting part could be tricky but not impossible - I think having a
yum list not-from-repositories would be fine - it wouldn't add pain to
the command line options b/c it is secondary argument to list and its
not intrusive.

the only difficult parts would be providing a good list for you in a
sensible format.

I was thinking maybe making the list pkgs command do intelligent things
with the -d levels - so that if you do a -d 2 its the normal columned
output, but -d 1 is csv'd list, that way its more parseable.

and -d1 just lists package names, not ver-release stuff.

anyone else think andrew's idea is worth any additional discussion? Its
about 10, maybe 15 lines of code, I think. :)