[Yum] future stuff, again

Grigory Bakunov black at asplinux.ru
Tue Aug 27 08:04:59 UTC 2002

On 27 Aug 2002, seth vidal wrote:

> Hi all,

Hello.

> Stuff for the stable branch to have implemented before it closes:
> 1. would LOVE to get yum -c http://url/to/conf/file but there is one
> problem: Configparser requires a file name - not a filehandle to parse
> and python does not, currently, have a mkstmp. I don't want to get into
> a potential race condition/security problem with a tmp file. I'm open to
> ideas, though.

If you dislike standart module 'tempfile' you can use external module -
http://www.carcosa.net/jason/software/python/pymkstemp/
And don't forget - in Python2.2 this is not a problem cause in this
version python include tempfile.TemporaryFile()

> 4. implement reget support that was sent in.
YES!!!! :)

> Stuff I'd like to discuss for the devel branch:
> 0. setup a public cvs server
> 1. redo of some of the nevral to include file:// url support
YES!!!!
> 2. fix up/deal with/make saner urlgrab
> 3. make it i18n compliant - so we could use different log stuff - I'm
> going to have to figure out how to do this first :) I don't think it's
> terribly hard but I don't know how to do it.
YESYESYES! :)
Look at translate.py in yum distribution! :)
And look like anaconda support i18n.

> 4. Make the rpm callbacks prettier
> 5. make yum-arch more intelligent about which headers it makes new -I
> don't know if this will speed it up at  all, but its worth a shot

What about server side dependences ?
I realy like yum but up2date works MUCH faster on big repositories :(

> 6. determine if rpm 4.1 will require a complete rewrite or just most of
> a complete rewrite.
> 7. determine if redhat-config-packages and its accompanying modules
> obsoletes the need for yum at all :) - or at the very least if it would
> be the easiest route to follow to wrap the modules provided there.

I think what lilo.py, grubcfg.py, checkbootloader.py and bootloader.py
already doesn't need for yum cause new RH kernel* packages add records in
configs in %postinstall scripts

> 8. comps.xml integrated - I like the comps.xml layout a lot.
> 9. a nifty web interface for groups of machines
> 10. maybe a daemon that runs and polls for updates throughout the day -
> no more reliance on cron :)

It's not a good idea.
In current state yum doesn't need any bloated servers etc. for work.

> 11. python 2.2 requirement
YES! :)

> 12. I'd love to see a graphical interface but I'm going to have to learn
> how to do that first :)

I start to code this but drop it.
We need to make some of UI abstraction - then it's realy easy to write.
I mean something like UI class with methods like
	showPackagesList(...)
	askYesOrNo(...)
etc.
I can do it if you like idea.

> 13. split apart and reorganize the functions in clientStuff and
> serverStuff - they've been a grab bag for a while now
:)

> I think thats all I can think of for the moment - can anyone remember
> anything else?

Once again - server side dependencs :)

Thanks Seth.
You make great work, i almost happy with yum :)

IRC: irc.openprojects.net #asplinux                      Grigory Bakunov
EMAIL: black at asplinux.ru                           ASPLinux Support Team
ICQ: 51369901                                     http://www.asplinux.ru