[Yum] new boring features

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Aug 23 20:44:11 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 15:32, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> I've of course been using update for install as well, but Connie's
> arguments make sense to me.  After all, install might well be a
> deliberate choice distinct from update, especially if update uses
> wildcard rules on both ends and only updates packages that BOTH match
> already installed packages AND are available.  One could add a "refresh"
> command that does what she likes, although it makes as much sense to
> make install mean INSTALL and update mean UPDATE.

I'm prone to agree with that - the easy thing I could do is have yum
update dtrt - just update. I don't think added a refresh does anything
but confuse what update does :)

so I'd be prone to change the comparison list for update

right now yum update pkg* compares the pkgs to the list of available
pkgs.

I could have it compare the packages to just the list of update-able
pkgs. so then yum update would never install something unless it was a
dependency requirement.

That would break the similarity to rpm's commands - but it might be more
logical.