[Yum] Fermi's crontab

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Fri Aug 16 13:52:48 UTC 2002

Howdy Ho,
I think I've gotten most of the major bugs worked out of this.  It's been
running a few days on several machines, and seems to do what we want.  We put
this cron script in the /etc/cron.daily directory.

I really don't plan on you putting this into the product, I just wanted to
show you what we are doing.

A few notes
1) Yes, it does need to be cleaned up a bit, as far as commented out lines,
and more comments for readability.
2) Yes, we know that doing yum install is risky (see workgroups).  We keep
tight control on those sections on the server.  (not that we don't with the
rest of the server, but you know what I mean)
3) Yes, we do clean up the users regular yum area at the end.  For fermi, we
have good bandwith pretty much everywhere. It is much more likely that a user
won't know about the clean command, fill up his disk with old rpms, and yell
at us, than he will complain because he has to download another rpm.

Troy

Troy Dawson  dawson at fnal.gov  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  CSI Group