[Yum] Empty Repositories

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Aug 15 18:54:46 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 13:28, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Howdy Ho,
> I reckon this is a situation that you hadn't thought of.  What if you have a
> repository, that is temporarily empty, or empty for one reason or another.  It
> seems like if you have an empty header.info file, things seem to fail
> 'unnicely'  You get a
>
> IOError: [Errno ftp error] 550 Failed to change directory.

does the file header.info exist at all?
try putting 1 character in it.

> which is the same error that you get when there isn't a repository at all.
> Granted, an empty repository is almost the same as no repository, but not quite.
> Would it be possible, if there is an empty header.info file for it to say

Here is the trick - I check for the content-length to determine if I've
gotten something that isn't a 404 or no such file error - b/c
urlretrieve - well - sucks.

So a 0 length header.info won't be so happy.

if we were using python2 it might be better -but I'm not switching to
python2 until I've moved to rhl TNV - which won't be right away.

so for right now I'd suggest putting a REALLY old rpm that can't
possibly be installed in it - its a kludge but its a better kludge than
some of the alternatives.

my general rule is - an empty repo isn't a repo so....