[Yum] Yum features

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Aug 2 19:19:12 UTC 2002

> They do not seem to be gzipped here.  I can do a "strings"  command on
> them and they sure look like plain old ascii to me.
>
> A heavily edited version of a "strings" is included here.

are you creating the repository with yum-arch -z dirname
?

If not then they won't be compressed, the default is uncompressed
(though I might switch that)

> Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
>
> > How big are yours getting? mine are staying at about 8M for all of rhl
> > 7.3 + some internal pkgs.
>
> Also it seems a bit bigger here.  It is for 7.1 and it includes a few
> Fermi added rpms but I do not think it should be that different.
>
> [root at snappy 711]# pwd
> /var/cache/yum/711
> [root at snappy 711]# du -sk
> 20260   .

After you check on the headers on the repository run this:

yum clean headers

that should get rid of all of your headers, then do a yum list and it
will download the new shiny compressed headers and you can check the
size then.

or better yet just run yum-arch -z on the repository and then run du -hs
on the headers dir.

that should give you a smaller number (I hope :)