[patch] Python 3 compatibility for urlgrabber

Michal Domonkos mdomonko at redhat.com
Tue Jul 30 10:42:58 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 12:34 PM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> We're trying to remove Python 2 support in Debian, and therefore, I
> started working on converting Yum to Python 3. This starts with
> urlgrabber, which is in use there.
>
> Here's a patch for that. Please let me know your thoughts about this
> patch ASAP, so we can move forward in Debian without removing yum.

Hey Thomas!

Thank you very much for your effort. However, please note that
urlgrabber was already ported a few months ago to Python 3 and
released in Fedora:
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/urlgrabber/releases/tag/urlgrabber-4-0-0

As for YUM, you're of course free to do as you wish, but please keep
in mind that we are not going to accept any (such big) contributions
to YUM upstream any more.  The community has moved to DNF (also known
as YUM-4) which is the successor of YUM-3. That being said, if you
really want to keep the original YUM-3 alive, you'd be better off just
forking the project on github.

Thank you again and have a great day!

--
Michal Domonkos