Cannot install software using gnome-software behind a proxy

rafranco88 at libero.it rafranco88 at libero.it
Thu Nov 3 15:49:48 UTC 2016

Hi all guys,
I am new to this community and I wanted to share with you all a problem I faced out these days using a CentOS 7 installation behind a proxy with GNOME desktop environment.

After setted up proxy settings in /etc/environment I can correctly install software from repositories as usual with command
sudo yum install ...
but cannot install any packages using gnome-software application: clicking on install button, installation process stops and progress bar seems to be stucked...

after some diggings I found out gnome-software uses python urlgrubber module to download packages and that the whole process got stuck on the po.repo.getPackage instruction in the following block

try:
    po.repo.getPackage(po,
                       checkfunc=checkfunc,
                       text=text,
                       cache=po.repo.http_caching != 'none',
                       **kwargs
                       )
except Errors.RepoError, e:
    adderror(po, exception2msg(e))

of the /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yum/__init__.py file

I thought it ignores environment proxy settings, and to verify that I added the following entry to the kwargs arguments of the po.repo.getPackage method
kwargs['proxies'] = {'http': 'proxy ip add:proxy port'}
As expected that "fixed" the problem making gnome-software correctly download and install all requested packages.

Now, my questions are:
- Am I doing something wrong for which that module does not work?
- Is there a clean way to modify the module's code to make it keep in mind of the environment proxy settings?
- Or, is there a clean way to configure proxy settings on this module?

Any help would by greatly apreciated...
regards