reposync expectations

Bob Lightfoot boblfoot at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 19:23:35 UTC 2014

On 06/23/2014 02:19 PM, James Antill wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-06-23 at 20:00 +0200, Anders Blomdell wrote:
>>>
>>> No, from the man page:
>>>
>>> -a ARCH, --arch=ARCH Act as if running the specified  arch
>>> (default:  current  arch, note:  does  not  override
>>> $releasever. x86_64 is a superset for i*86.).
>> Suggested patch is here:
>>
>> http://lists.baseurl.org/pipermail/yum-devel/2014-May/010622.html
>

> Look at how repoquery works, with --archlist. That's probably what
> you want to do (you can probably ignor the code for when
> YumBase.arch doesn't exist now). But that should work to allow
> multiple arches, and have a default basearch and auto. setup for
> x86_64 etc.

Perhaps to provide a little background will clarify things for
everyone.  I was working to test the latest buildlogs release of
Centos 7 and given my ISP situation {slow DSL} a local mirror is the
most efficient method for doing this.  The box hosting the local repo
is C6-i686 file server, but as we all know C7 is only x86_64 with some
i686 libs for compatability.  It was suggested that since rsync was
not yet configured for the C7 repo that reposync would work to create
a local mirror of the repo.  And if the system running the reposync
command is x86_64 this is true.  If I understand the posts back to me
correctly then using the --arch=x86_64 should resolve the issue on the
i686 system also, which testing proves it does.

So the bottom line is to a new user, it is less than crystal clear
that you need to use the arch flag to sync a repo for one arch on another.

Thanks for the explanations.

Bob