new feature for mounting a read-only root filesystem rw after yum initialization and read-only after yum exits

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 2 20:13:35 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2013-12-28 at 22:56 +0200, george Nopicture wrote:
> Hi. Since i am coming from debian this is a feauture that i am missing
> in fedora and after some googling i didn't find anything already
> implemented.
> I would like to receive some feedback for implementing such a feature.
> What i 've done so far:

 I'm not opposed to it, but it might be tricker than just putting
remounts around the transaction (Eg. the rpmdb locks and yum locks, and
yumdb/etc).
 How much have you tested it? Is there any way you can make it not just
use os.popen? Is there a way you can do a check for how the mountpoint
is mounted?
 Having a configuration of the mount points to remount seems like it'd
be a requirement.

> what i didn't find so far is the code where yum actually writes the
> /etc/yum.conf file for the first time in order to put an option there
> too (mountreadwrite).

 There's a yum.conf shipped in etc, distros. can ship a different
version too. For something like this though I wouldn't think it'd need
to be pointed out in the yum.conf (the people who want to use it will
seek it out, and others won't care).