[Yum-devel] More color in yum

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 3 14:36:14 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-06-02 at 12:55 -0700, James Pearson wrote:
> Hi.  I administrate some CentOS 5 (and, hopefully soon, CentOS 6) machines,
> and I'd like to have lots of lovely color output from yum.  I see from the
> manpages that there are some color options currently, but I'd like to have
> it be more extensive.
>
> First question: should I go about hacking on yum proper, or make a yum
> plugin?  I was guessing the former, since color options already exist, but
> I wanted to make sure this was a good path.  Of concern is also ease of
> getting any changes I make into the yum on my machines - I'm ok doing some
> backporting, as long as things haven't changed significantly.

 Adding more colour options would very likely be non-trivial to do in a
plugin, so just add a patch to core yum and post. You might want to come
by #yum or post here about your idea first though.

> Secondly: how do you all handle development environments?  I cloned down
> the yum repo yesterday to play around with it, but I can't get it to run on
> the system python because it uses library calls[0] not available in 2.4.  I
> can't use 2.6 because something requires the rpm library, which is
> installed on my system (in the 2.4 path), but not otherwise available for
> installation.  Also, the EPEL virtualenv doesn't work in 2.4 any more[1]. :(

 Yeh, we stopped making sure yum was compatible with RHEL-5 a while ago
now. Your best bet will be to test on a F18, or RHEL-6, machine ... and
then backport the changes (might be a simple backport, depending on what
you do).
 The only "recent" change (since RHEL-5) in this area was
color_list_available_running_kernel, but you'll probably be fine with
that and it should backport :).