[Yum-devel] Integrating drpm support

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 22 20:47:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-02-21 at 12:57 +0100, Zdenek Pavlas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The native drpm support is complete enough to be used and tested.
> I'm quite satisfied with the performance, but the applydeltarpm
> backend needs more work.  I'm going to make a rawhide release
> today.
>
> - download of .drpm and .rpm files now may run in parallel.

 It's almost certainly worth sorting these so that drpms still download
first, and then they can rebuild while the .rpms (and other .drpms)
download.

> - with --downloadonly, both drpm downloads and delta rebuilds
>   run without holding the yum lock.
>
> - code is much simpler (less than 200 LOCs, from 679 in plugin).
>   changing the DL process from 2-pass to (mostly) 1-pass seems
>   to be a win.  Deltainfo parsing is much faster and uses less
>   memory.  Some local file checksumming was saved, too.

 Can you add the specfile obsoletes to the patchset?

> The biggest con ATM is that applydeltarpm runs from DL checkfunc
> callback, and is not parallelized.  It does, however, overlap
> with package downloads but does not use multiple cores.

 And this doesn't stop the other downloads from happening? Maybe try
testing with throttle ... as your network connection is so fast it might
be confusing you?
 Have you tried this with large deltas?
 Not even sure this matters with todays patch ... :-o.