[Yum-devel] [dnf] new build: dnf-0.3.2-1

Ales Kozumplik akozumpl at redhat.com
Tue Apr 9 08:56:38 UTC 2013

On 04/08/2013 08:48 PM, seth vidal wrote:
>> Handling of per-repo package exclusions was fixed and clarified. DNF
>> respects excludes for all operations, not just for update and install
>> as Yum does[2], I find this more intuitive.
>>

> Hi Aleš,
>   I'm a bit confused about this one. Is dnf making rpm not see the pkgs?
> If not - then isn't it just going to trip over them in a
> dependency-removal in the depsolve?
>
> example:
>
> foo requires bar
>
> yum -x foo remove bar
>
> bar will be marked for removal and then rpm is going to do..... what in
> the transaction?

Hi,

DNF never makes RPM forget that some package is installed, I don't think
there even is a mechanism for that aside from some forcing flags. It's
all about

a) presentation to the user (like in list command we just don't show the
hidden packages)

b) locking versions of the excluded installed packages

In particular, all the preexisting RPMDB constrains still hold after a
transaction no matter the excludes:

[akozumpl at aklap ~]$ sudo dnf -x python-hawkey erase hawkey
Setting up Remove Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Starting dependency resolution
--> Finding unneeded leftover dependencies
--> Finished dependency resolution
Error: package python-hawkey-0.3.3-2.git506ff84.fc17.x86_64 requires
hawkey(x86-64) = 0.3.3-2.git506ff84.fc17, but none of the providers can
be installed

Ales